UNITY'S BASIC BELIEFS
God is spirit, (John 4:24) the loving source of all that is. God is the One Power, all good and everywhere present. God is Divine Energy, continually creating, expressing and sustaining all creation. We also speak of God as Life, Light, Love, and Universal Mind.
NATURE OF HUMANKIND
We are spiritual beings made in the image and likeness of God (Gen 1:27) and therefore, essentially good. Our purpose is to express our divine potential. The more we awaken to this Divine Essence, the more fully God expresses in and from us.
The Bible is Unity’s main text. It is interpreted from a metaphysical perspective and guides us on our evolutionary journey toward spiritual awakening. The Bible’s inspired wisdom, applied to our daily lives, offers us a pathway of self-discovery. (2 Tim 3:16)
Jesus expressed his divinity and sought to show others how to do the same. We see Jesus as a master teacher of universal truths and as our Way Shower. In Unity, the term “Christ” is used to mean the divinity in all people. Jesus is the great example of the Christ in expression.
Unity emphasizes the importance of developing and maintaining a vibrant relationship with God through prayer, meditation, and good works. (James 2:26) Making a positive difference through active personal service in our communities is our sacred responsibility.
UNITY'S FIVE BASIC PRINCIPLES
- God is all good and active in everything, everywhere.
- I am naturally good because God's Divinity is in me and in everyone.
- I create my experiences by what I choose to think and what I feel and believe.
- Through affirmative prayer and meditation, I connect with God and bring out the good in my life.
- I do and give my best by living the Truth I know. I make a difference!